Thursday, April 12, 2007

Aircon fever and a birthday party

The day yesterday started pretty badly - woke up shaking and sweatingm hot and cold at the same time. Every part of my body was aching and my nose running. Went down to breakfast and had a large cup of tea and returned to bed. The tea worked fine for a while, then it got worse. I decided to see a doctor in case i had caught something serious. (although as a man I should normally rather die a heroic death than seeing a doctor for small things like a fever..) The doctor looked in my throat, and as there was no throat inflammation she said it was just a heavy cold. I was asked if i had a room with air condition, and the probable cause of the cold and fever was that I had the temperature too low. She prescribed some pills for the fever and some other stuff for the running nose and told me to take it easy for the rest of the day.

On the way back to the hotel I went to a bar and ordered a large cup of tea with honey, which tasted wondefully. One of the barmaids told me it was her birthday, and invited me for her party in the evening. I said I might come, but only if I felt better. I spent the next few hours in bed, sleeping well after having taken the pills, and woke up so much better I went to the beach and had a swim. Then I went to the tailor and picked up my new clothes, which looked fine.

After having had a shower I felt better and went to the party, which was a nice experience! People were coming and going, tasting her delicious food and having a drink or two at the bar. There was an abundance of Thai and other food, even a Norwegian fish soup! Nobody was allowed to pay for the food, but she accepted small gifts from the guests - some had bought something, others contributed to the neckles of Bath bills around her neck. Everybody was having a good time - Thai, Norwegian (several!), Swiss, German and more nationalities - except maybe for the big Finnish guy who probably did not even notice there was a party going on. He poured down whisky like water, and the only word this statue of stone ever said was "MORE!" when his glass was empty. To the birthday girl's protest, who did not want any guests to leave, I went back to bed around 2230 - still not feeling too well, but well enought to have enjoyed the Thai birthday party very much.

No comments: